Fed up with the traditional turkey? Try this delicious lamb recipe for Xmas dinner or even for New Year.
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 6)
- 1.5 Kgs lamb shoulder blade chops
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- ⅓ cup aged balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 8 fresh mint leaves
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon honey, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 1 tablespoon sliced fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 150º C. Generously season lamb chops with salt and black pepper then place lamb chops and cook until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer lamb to a plate and reduce heat to medium.
- Stir onion and a pinch of salt into the Dutch oven; cook until onions are slightly golden, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the pomegranate juice and scrape any browned bits off of the bottom of the pot. Pour in balsamic vinegar, increase heat to high, and bring to a boil.
- Stir rosemary, mint leaves, and red pepper flakes into pomegranate juice mixture. Continue to boil until liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Return lamb and any accumulated juices to Dutch oven, spoon pomegranate mixture over lamb, and cover.
- Cook until meat is fork tender, about 2 hours. Transfer lamb to a plate and set Dutch oven on the stovetop over high heat. Bring pomegranate mixture to a boil; cook, skimming any fat that accumulates, until liquid is reduced by 1/3, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in honey and season with salt and black pepper to taste. Return lamb to the Dutch oven; stir to combine. Garnish with pomegranate seeds, sliced mint leaves, and pumpkin seeds.