Did you know..?

Dogs ‘reduce dementia’ says study.

Owning a dog can reduce the risk of developing dementia in old age, according to a study in Japan. The four-year study monitored the well-being of nearly 12,000 residents of the city over the age of 65 and found that dog-owners were 40% less likely to get dementia than those without a dog. Previous studies have linked having a cat or dog to reduced frailty in old age, slowed cognitive decline, delayed onset of disabilities and death from all causes. Daily Mail

Remote jobs take a backseat.

While jobseekers in Europe are still interested in remote roles, listings for them are declining, but hybrid options are on the rise. Last month, hybrid roles accounted for one-third of all job listings in Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA). In some countries this was much higher though, such as in Ireland and the UK, where hybrid jobs made up 43% of all listings in each country, an increase of 20% and 15%respectively. Remote roles across Europe dropped by between 3% and 11%, as a proportion of all job listings. LinkedIn

Richest 1% produce most carbon.

The richest 1% of humanity is responsible for more carbon emissions than the poorest 66%, according to a new report from Oxfam and Stockholm Environment Institute. “The great carbon divide” found that the elite group, made up of 77 million people including billionaires, millionaires and those paid more than $140,000 (£112,500) a year, accounted for 16% of all CO2 emissions in 2019. The twin crises of climate and inequality are “fuelling one another”. The Guardian

These are the world’s 10 largest economies.

10, Italy $1.997 trillion GDP; 9, Russia, [$2.133]; 8, Canada [$2.200]; 7, France [$2.778]; 6, UK [$3.199]; 5, India [$3.469]; 4, Germany [$4.031]; 3, Japan [$4.301]; 2, China [$18,321; 1, US [$25,035]. The five largest economies make up half of the world’s GDP. The 10 largest account for two-thirds, while the 25 largest represent 84% of the world’s GDP. Together, the remaining 167 nations account for just 16%of global GDP. World Economic Forum

The introverted leader.

It’s often thought that the best leaders need to be extroverts or outgoing. However, many experts say that is not the case. While extroverted leaders have important strengths, they also tend to command the centre of attention and take over discussions. Thoughtful communication and critical thinking are two important leadership traits associated with introverts. In a dynamic, unpredictable environment, these are the qualities that the most effective leaders possess. Editor

Decorate with AI.

Microsoft has unveiled an AI tool that remote workers can use to “clean up” their homes during video calls. The “decorate your background” feature, which will be rolled out on Microsoft Teams next year, eliminates mess and clutter, and can be used to add house plants, lights and even a Christmas tree. Daily Mail

Fake news is a real worry.

85% of people are worried about the influence of fake news on their fellow citizens; while 87% of people say disinformation is a threat to politics in their country. This is according to a survey of 16 countries set to hold general elections in 2024. Social media is now people’s main source of news, confirms the survey, which was conducted by Ipos for UNESCO. Social media is where 56% of people get their stories, followed by 44% from television. Despite this, there’s little trust in social media. 68% say it carries the most disinformation of all outlets, followed by messaging app at 38%. Daily Mail

Two-thirds of British adults do not know what words such as mascarpone and torte mean.

Three-quarters have no idea what a coulis is and eight in ten are baffled by a posset. The Guardian